What do you THINK?
1. How do you understand the analogy of an “ancient pathway”? Would your image include shared entryways, detours, or bridges?
2. “Voyager” often connotes futuristic travel, yet Cowan suggests that we are voyagers on “ancient pathways.” How do you understand this mixed metaphor? Do you feel that you are a voyager on an “ancient pathway” or on an uncharted one?
3. What are the responsibilities that accompany a life with ancient foundations? What are the challenges of traversing an “ancient pathway”?
What do you SEE?
1. Describe the components of this poster. What mood do they create?
2. Why do you think the artist portrayed this voyage taking place in a very calm setting?
3. The boat is made from a folded Yiddish newspaper from 1929 which relates the closing of a yeshiva in the artist’s grandfather’s hometown in Belarus. What does this heirloom add to the image and its interpretation of the quote?
Copyright© 2015 Harold Grinspoon Foundation
Please use this guide creatively in your programs. We’d also love to see what you’re doing and share it with others, so please post on our website using the Share button in The Exchange.